Thursday, January 7, 2010

SPOILER ALERT! I am going to talk about happy things below (well below).
A so-so day can turn into a bummer one with only one piece of mail. Today was even a pretty good day - Anna and Randy came home from two weeks out-of-state and even shared their chicken wings with me (yayyyy), and before that I'd been pretty productive on the school front. I got home and there was a shiny gold package waiting in the mailbox for me. I knew it was just stuff I'd left at my parents' house over Xmas that my mom was sending back, but shiny gold package! However, behind the exciting box was a letter from the Michigan Department of Human Services, informing me my application for food assistance (yes, I've resorted to food stamps for the time being) had been rejected due to my failure to submit all necessary income verification. Odd, since I'd previously received a letter - and a food stamp debit card - telling me I'd be getting so much government handout per month. And I'd already spent that monthly allotment.
Well, this may hopefully be solved with one phone call; it could have been a mistake. But it got me spiraling into a familiar funk - the I have no money - I am always broke - I can't manage my finances - I can't manage my life - What am I doing with my life? General sort of "I suck" mood swing.
THANK GOD it had been snowing all day. This afforded me the chance to vent my mood through an aching back courtesy of the snow shovel. While clearing the driveway, I decided I might blog about this subject; then decided: no. My life does not suck.
My life does not suck nor do I!
Therefore my blessings I henceforth shall enumerate:
1) Loving support of family and friends who are also interesting and fun people! I know and am even related to some really freakin' awesome people. If you're reading this, you're one of them. Go you!
2) Pretty good health. Can't complain too much there.
3) A house whose mortgage I've managed to pay every month. On occasion this was a pretty epic feat, but so far so good.
4) High quality housemates. They rock.
5) My kitties. They snuggle with me and do happy dances when I come home. And they only puke on my stuff once in awhile.
6) The opportunity to pursue the career of my dreams, even when it turned out to be not quite what I've dreamed of. See #1,2,9.
7) The SCA (www.sca.org) I LOVE playing this game and the people I've met through it.
8) Dinosaurs.
9) Intelligence and the desire to use it. I credit the aforementioned family and the damn good education they provided me.
10) Four-wheel drive. It makes driving in the snow FUN! I guess I should also mention my friend James who lent me the car with the 4x4. He deserves to be higher up on this list.
11) FOOD especially veggies from the MSU SOF, and everything my family cooks. They're better than a restaurant.
12) Music.
13) The number 13. It's my lucky number.
14) Shiny gold packages!

That's all for now. I am in a much better mood.

1 comment:

  1. I like your Irish background. Also indeed you do not suck and in fact quite the opposite you ROCK!!!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog